Our first glimpse of historic Malaga was its catholic cathedral on the evening of our arrival as it shimmered in glorious light and shadows.
Constructed between 1528 and 1782 in the Renaissance style, the north tower (below) is 84 metres (276 ft) high while the south tower remains unfinished. As a result of this unfinished state the cathedral is referred to as "La Manquita" meaning "The One-Armed Lady".
|South side of cathedra (note the unfinished tower)|
|Entrance on the north side|
|Eastern portion of the cathedral|
The cost of admission includes an audio guide and one's first impression is awe. Not only is the cathedral huge, but the Mediterranean sunlight filters in from outside to warm and define the interior.
|One of two organs that have more than 4000 pipes|
|The second organ is seen top left|
|Western wall of the cathedral|
|The door on the right gives access to the gated exterior|
|Can you spot John?!|
Directly across the street is the Plaza del Obispo and Bishop's Palace.
|Back inside facing east|
Around the entire perimeter are a number of chapels...each distinct and dedicated to a particular saint or religious figure.
|This door to the south includes four wooden vases with flowers that represent Malaga|
|The Choir with an organ on both the left and right sides|
|Carved wooden choir seats|
Leaving the cathedral we enter a gated garden. The red brick building below is the Chapel House.
|Baroque entrance on north side of Chapel house|
* * *